Ice Kissed by Amanda Hocking

Ice Kissed by Amanda Hocking

Release Date: May 7, 2015
Publisher: Tor UK
Series: The Kanin Chronicles, Book 2
Rated: YA/NA 15+
Format: Paperback
Source: Pansing
Buy: Available at all good bookstores!
GoodreadsWebsite

Check out my review of Frostfire HERE.

Could a secret destroy a kingdom?

Bryn Aven refuses to abandon her dream of serving her kind as part of his elite guard. It’s a dream that takes her to a whole new realm – the glittering palace of the Skojare tribe.

The Skojare are threatened by a hidden enemy, who also targeted her own Kanin community. So in a spirit of cooperation, Bryn is assigned to help protect them. Being half Skojare herself, she also hopes to discover her lost heritage. He boss Ridley Dresden is overseeing the mission – but as their attraction heats up, their relationship is about to reach a whole new level.

Then as Bryn learns more about the Skojare, she stumbles upon a web of conspiracy. And the dark truths she uncovers will change her and both kingdoms forever, threatening everyone she loves.

Wow, talk about major improvement–I ACTUALLY ENJOYED THIS ONE. After disliking Frostfire so much I wasn’t even sure I would continue this series, except that ending had me a bit curious. After I was offered a copy of the second book for review, I was definitely hesitant to go into this one and prepared for the worst. It was like (almost) everything that I found wrong with the first book became so much better in this one! I found myself flipping pages like mad, eagerly wanting to know what happens next.


Bryn’s character? Oh my god, SO MUCH BETTER. I actually like this chick now. In the first book I thought she was really whiny and pushy, constantly screaming and too hot-headed. Seems like she got her anger in check and basically was a whole new person. She’s now a whole new BEARABLE person, I’m happy to say. Ridley was an okay character this time round. He was pretty much the same way in Frostfire, but doesn’t actually appear too much in this book as he did in the last one. Their relationship does go to a whole new level though, which makes this one definitely a lot more NA than YA compared to the start of the trilogy.

What I still can’t get over though is the writing. It’s awful to say so, and I’m really sorry about it, but despite the interesting story, the writing made me cringe or roll my eyes every now and then. Too much unnecessary description in places, for instance. Having some is nice and definitely needed in a story, but do I really want to know what the Queen’s wearing every single bloody time Bryn has to meet with her? Or what shade of lipstick Linnea was wearing? No thank you! Or all the name dropping–which was also a big problem for me with the first book. Or how everyone in the Skojare tribe had brilliantly blue sapphire-colored sparkling (or cold) eyes. Yeesh. Try reading that every time one of the Skojarians (I honestly don’t know if they’re called that–I’m making a guess) are described.

While the ending of the Frostfire was pretty big, get ready for an even bigger shocker. It’s super sad, it’s super confusing (at points), and I really need the next book soon. I’m so glad that Ice Kissed has changed my feelings regarding the Kanin Chronicles for the most part, and I hope Crystal Kingdom keeps that up. I’m looking forward to see how it all ends!


▪ ▪ ▪ Thank you so much to Sasha at Pansing for sending me a copy for review! ▪ ▪ 

If you like this, try...


▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ 

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way as you about the writing when I read Hocking's Trylle series. I mostly liked the story but the over description and occasional cheese turned me off. I haven't read another of her books due to that. Laura@125pages.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!