My Family and Other Freaks by Carol Midgley

My Family and Other Freaks by Carol Midgley

Release Date: June 7, 2012
Publisher: Quercus
Rated: YA 13+
Format: ARC
Source: Pansing
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
Goodreads

Ever felt that your life’s a joke but you’re the only one not laughing? Welcome to my world...

Danielle fancied Damian, the hottest guy in her year. But her efforts to steal him away from the gorgeous Treasure are ruined by her embarrassing family and their smelly dog Simon – who’s in love with her mum’s Ugg boot – URGH!

With a little help from her best friend Amber, Danielle is determined to make Damian fall for her.

But how can she stop her freaky family from getting in the way?

From the moment I read the synopsis I knew that My Family and Other Freaks would be somewhat similar to Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging and the rest of the series by Louise Rennison. I used to read a ton of British middle- and high-school books and so reading this one took me back to my middle school days. Oh gods. I even attended a British school at one point in my life–only for a year–and so much of the terminology used in the book (Year 10 is Grade 9 for instance) reminded me of my time at the school. Anyway, I really enjoyed this book! This was a relatively short book and it took me only a little time to blaze through it. My Family and Other Freaks is absolutely hilarious and the whole dysfunctional family dynamic never seems to get old for me.

Sometimes snarky characters annoy the hell out of me but Danielle’s character was just so funny that I couldn’t help but chuckle along at her witty comebacks. She can be kind of self-centered but I really liked her narrative voice. I also liked Amber’s character, even though I wish she were more involved in this book. Of course, I loved to hate Treasure–there’s something about British mean girls that makes the drama in books so much more delicious. I’m not going to comment on the male characters in this book but there’s a lot that obviously involves them and an interesting (albeit obvious) outcome. Now her family–LOVED them! Danielle has a darling little sister, hilarious parents, a brother who I wish made more of an appearance, and an absolutely adorable and wacky dog. Honestly, if the whole book had been about Danielle and her family, I would have still read it.

My Family and Other Freaks was a hilarious read and had me smiling from start to finish. I’m really tempted to read more British school-aged novels because with heroines such as Danielle, I know I’m in for a bucket of laughs. This book is perfect for both preteens and teens alike, and I’m sure even older readers will get a few chuckles out of Midgley’s novel.


▪ ▪ ▪ Thank you so much to Sasha at Pansing for sending me a copy for review! ▪ ▪ 

If you like this, try...

3 comments:

  1. Okay, if I were to be honest, the cover doesn't appeal to me XD It feels too crowded! However, the fact that this has a snarky character that actually makes you laugh and not pull your hair is a huuuuuuuuuge plus! I remember reading one in Anatomy of a Misfit of the same kind of heroine and it was such a blast! (PLEASE READ THAT ONE!)

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cute and hilarious. I liked Angus so will probably like this one too. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. British Mean Girls huh? This one probably isn't for me, but it sounds like it was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!