The One by Kiera Cass

The One by Kiera Cass

Release Date: May 6, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: The Selection, Book 3
Rated: YA 14+
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
Goodreads Website

Read my review of The Selection HERE
Read my review of The Elite HERE

The Selection changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. And now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.

America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

From the very first page of The Selection, this #1 New York Times bestselling series has captured readers' hearts and swept them away on a captivating journey... Now, in The One, Kiera Cass delivers a satisfying and unforgettable conclusion that will keep readers sighing over this electrifying fairy-tale long after the final page is turned.

**WARNING: Do NOT read this if you haven’t read The Selection or The Elite. Some spoilers (and fangirling) ahead.**

Guys– I think my heart just broke in to a million pieces.
What? 
The series ended horribly, you ask?
Nope. 
It was perfect.

My heart has just broken into a million pieces because one of my series has come to a close.

I’ve been wanting to read The One for a very, VERY long time now. Roughly a year-long wait, which I know is not that long compared to some other people, but it’s killed me since I started The Selection, because the suspense could not be held out fore me any longer. The day my exams ended, I headed to the bookstore and bought this book. Initially they were out of stock, but then, this amazing girl who works there found a copy and handed me this book, this absolutely heartbreaking book, to me. I got home and immediately dove into it, no hesitations, only some awe-struck ogling at the gorgeous cover. 
And I didn’t stop until I’d read the last page.

After that I got up, walked around in a daze, fingers shaking because I had just finished this amazing series, and I knew they would not stop until I’d written this review.

So. Here we go.

I don’t think I’ve ever internally bawled at something so hard and so much. This was like The-Fault-in-Our-FREAKING-Stars-worthy bawling. I tend not to cry for books so yeah, it’s pretty major when I say that I freaking died when I read this book. A perfect end to a perfect series. 

I love how the stakes are so much higher in this book, and because of this, everything is so much more intense. America's conflict with herself, with her feelings for the two boys she loves, with the King, and with the system: Kiera Cass is truly a master story-teller because the way in which she crafts words really conveys the raw emotions of characters as well as the fantastic plot that has gone on for three books.
I also liked that the world building developed much more with this book, and that the story of the rebellion comes to light and we see more of this side, compared to just the competition as it’s been with the previous two books – well, more The Selection than The Elite. Getting to know more about the Northerners, bringing along some surprising twists as well, just made this story a lot more richer.

America Singer, my favourite literary red-head. Her character is definitely more challenged in this book, as we find in the previous book that King Clarkson isn’t all that he seems to be. I love her determination and fierce confidence that she approaches everything with. I think we all yell out a little cheer whenever she defies Illéa’s caste system and rules!
If you’ve read my previous reviews about the series, then you’ll know who I’m rooting for. Maxon and Aspen are both amazing guys, but ultimately it’s time for America to choose her one. I don’t want to give too much away, but the ending works out well for (almost) everyone, so there’s really a definite outcome. I’m sad to see it end though– this is one of the best written love triangles I have ever seen in YA. It’s made it a challenge to pick one side in all of this, but of course, everything must come to an end.

I have a major hangover from this book, because now, just after I’ve finished the series, I wish that I could pick up The Selection and start all over again. The One is the crème de la crème, an absolutely flawless finale to the series that will bring tears, smiles and many, MANY swoons. While it’s painful to say goodbye to characters I’ve come to love and a world I’ve envisioned and brought to life in my mind, this bittersweet ending is everything I could have hoped for and more. Kiera Cass’ books are truly glittering gems worthy of any crown...or tiara!


If you like this, try...


▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!