The Fortunes of Indigo Skye by Deb Caletti

The Fortunes of Indigo Skye by Deb Caletti


Release Date: March 25, 2008
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Rated: YA 14+
Format: Hardcover
Source: Borrowed
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

I suddenly see where I'm standing, and that's at the edge of change - really, really big change.

Eighteen-year-old Indigo Skye feels like she has it all - a waitress job she loves, an adorable refrigerator-delivery-guy boyfriend, and a home life that's slightly crazed but rich in love. Until a mysterious man at the restaurant leaves her a 2.5 million-dollar tip, and her life as she knew it is transformed.
At first its amazing: a hot new car, enormous flat-screen TV, and presents for everyone she cares about. She laughs off the warnings that money changes people, that they come to rely on what they have instead of who they are. Because it won't happen...not to her. Or will it? What do you do when you can buy anything your heart desires -- but what your heart desires can't be bought?
This is the story of a girl who gets rich, gets lost, and ultimately finds her way back - if not to where she started, then to where she can start again. 


We all wish for a million dollars, but when we're presented with it, what would you do with it? The Fortunes of Indigo Skye was my first Deb Caletti book which I'd managed to get through (I just could not finish The Secret Life of Prince Charming), and I loved it. The idea is one that's been expressed so many times, been questioned to almost everyone, but I've never actually seen it in book form. It was an engaging contemporary which I could not put down.

Wowie. Indigo is one lucky girl. I really loved her character– she was normal, which I'm grateful for in a character. I loved Trevor as well, even though in the middle he kind of went into a jerk-phase but then quickly resumed back to normal, and Bex was adorable, a little sister I'd love to have. Melanie was PURE EVIL. I hated her, and that's pretty much all I'm gonna say for her. I loved all the people, "The Irregulars", who are the regular customers who come to Carrera's, the restaurant which Indigo waitresses.
The plot for me, however, was a little slow paced. the story only really starts in the middle, and it was a little filled-in until then. It was interesting to see Indigo's life, her family and driends, but I felt that some bits could have been done without.

Overall, this being my first Deb Caletti, I'm glad I started a relationship with her books, because Stay, another book I read by her afterwards, was amazing. I'm really glad I gave The Fortunes of Indigo Skye another chance because it was an amazing journey. I read this one a while ago, but I still remember reading this book non-stop, only pausing for bathroom breaks. This one does not disappoint, and I'll be looking forward to reading more of this author in the (very) near future.


If you like this, try...

  • Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott Goodreads
  • Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson Goodreads





Other cover(s) available:

2 comments:

  1. Oh cool, I haven't heard of this one. It sounds pretty good. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Deb Calleti's Stay but haven't get a chance to pick that up yet. This one sounds like a fun read but the slow pace might put me a little bit off.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!