What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen


Release Date: May 10, 2011
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers Group
Rating: YA 14+
Format: Hardcover
Source: Borrowed
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Who is the real McLean? 


Since her parents' bitter divorce, McLean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, McLean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, McLean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out.

Combining Sarah Dessen's trademark graceful writing, great characters, and compelling storytelling, What Happened to Goodbye is irresistible reading.


Like with every other Sarah Dessen book, I couldn't help but fall in love with What Happened to Goodbye.
I like the idea for this story. As I've moved around a lot, it's quite easy to change personalities (not that I do of course) but I can see how McLean would want to hide the past and change her life with every time she relocates with her dad.


McLean reminds me a lot of Remy from This Lullaby. They're both headstrong girls, who don't easily let people into their life. However, I felt that her relationship with her mom could have been a little bit better (although I understand somewhat WHY she ignores her mom), but come on! It's your mom. Talk to her once in a while!
Anddddd... Dave. I have to admit though, I was a little disappointed. There wasn't much action between Dave and McLean! But I think he's a great guy for her :)


I found the story really heartwarming and it was touching to see the transition that McLean makes, by opening up to people and letting them into her life. Dessen has written another gem.
What Happened to Goodbye is surely a Sarah Dessen book which is a MUST-READ (but then, which book of hers isn't?). The writing and emotions, McLean's story and her new life in a new town– all fabulous. Un-put-downable, I loved this one from start to finish.


If you like this, try...
  • Stay by Deb Caletti ◆ Goodreads
  • The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han Goodreads
  • Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott Goodreads
  • Moonglass by Jessi Kirby Goodreads
  • Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt Goodreads
  • Love Story by Jennifer Echols Goodreads
  • The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder Goodreads




Other covers available:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!