If I Tell by Janet Gurtler

If I Tell by Janet Gurtler


Release Date: October 1, 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
AmazonGoodreads Website

Jasmine Evans knows one thing for sure... people make mistakes. After all, she is one. Jaz is the result of a onenight stand between a black football player and a blonde princess. Having a young mother who didn't raise her, a father who wants nothing to do with her and living in a small-minded town where she's never fit in hasn't been easy. But she's been surviving. Until she sees her mom's new boyfriend making out with her own best friend. When do you forgive people for being human or give up on them forever?




Have you ever been in a situation where you're not sure who to tell what, and even if you should tell anyone?
Well, Jaz has A LOT going through her mind. Janet Gurtler's novel has touched on racism, results of teen pregnancy, secrets and finding yourself. I haven't been fortunate enough to find myself a copy of I'm Not Her, the first Janet Gurtler book I'd ever heard of, but I've heard some amazing things about it. All I know is that if it's anything like this book, it's bound to be as good.


I feel really sorry for Jaz. Her life's kinda a mess, she can't really make any friends her age all because of the color of her skin: the result of a black football player and a white cheerleader having a one-night stand. Being the only bi-racial in the school, she's kinda been "shunned", mainly after an incident from when she was younger. But sometimes, she's so annoying, I found. She yells entirely too much and assumes things– she just jumps to conclusions too quickly without hearing an explanation. She also yells at her mom a lot, which I find kinda sad, even though her mom kinda does "try" her best. Other than this, she's quite an interesting main character and how we see her emotions through her words and song lyrics throughout the book is quite amazing.
Jackson!! I don't understand why Jaz keeps pushing him away. I'd much rather bring him closer...he's really sweet, misunderstood like Jaz, but actually thinks more positively than she does, which makes him SO much more the better character. Love his part in the story, and love how it all ties up in the end.


Gurtler does touch on some sensitive topics, like bullying and racism, self-identity, friendships and betrayal. This book has got some amazing emotion in it– it's quite the roller-coaster. Definitely would recommend to fans of Elizabeth Scott and Sarah Dessen.


Overall, If I Tell is not a fluffy-cutesy teen book. This is the real world people. Janet Gurtler shows us the life of someone who pretty much suffers everyday...just for looking the way she is! I loved this book a LOT, and will be looking forward to grabbing a copy of I'm Not Her, because if it's ANYTHING like this one, it's bound to be amazing :).



If you like this, try...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!