Past Perfect by Leila Sales

Past Perfect by Leila Sales


Release Date: October 4th, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Rating: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: Simon & Schuster Galley Grab
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite





All Chelsea wants to do this summer is hang out with her best friend, hone her talents as an ice cream connoisseur, and finally get over Ezra, the boy who broke her heart. But when Chelsea shows up for her summer job at Essex Historical Colonial Village (yes, really), it turns out Ezra’s working there too. Which makes moving on and forgetting Ezra a lot more complicated…even when Chelsea starts falling for someone new.
Maybe Chelsea should have known better than to think that a historical reenactment village could help her escape her past. But with Ezra all too present, and her new crush seeming all too off limits, all Chelsea knows is that she’s got a lot to figure out about love. Because those who don’t learn from the past are doomed to repeat it….



**This Review is based on an Advanced Readers Copy. The final cover and/or text is subject to change**

What do you get when you add American history and a hilariously cute contemporary YA? Past Perfect of course! Your one and only guide to the world of Chelsea's summer, which may or may not blow up in her face. Fun right??
This book was a whole ton of laughs and learning moments, so this is perfect for those of you who need to cram some history and yet want to learn it in the best way possible: through love and giggles.


I liked Chelsea's character to a point. I mean, she was funny and smart (loved her sassiness) and her perspective was fun to look through. But I mean, some of the times she was mooning over Ezra and like, couldn't let go and stuff, and that kinda ticked me off a little bit. I mean, I haven't gone through basically ANY relationship to actually know the pain of being dumped, but all the whining and sobbing over him really annoyed me. OH and the thing where she always just assumes without thinking. Again, pretty annoying. But other than these (which isn't a majority of the book people), she isn't too bad. I mean, sure I wish she thought a little before she acted, but that just adds to the plot, right?


Oh. My. God. DAN is the MAN!! GO DAN! WOOHOO! Totally love him. He's so adorably sweet throughout the whole book. Nothing like Ezra...ughh hated him. Fiona, Chelsea's best friend, was also pretty cool...except I hated her during some parts. It was more like she was obsessed with being in character (for historical reenactment) rather than being a good friend. And Chelsea's parents: Gods, can you ask for a scarier dad?! I mean, there are scarier but this one was quite unsupportive. Only stuck in the world of his work. And the Mom was no help either, to make things worse. What is with weird parents in contemp books?


I ADORED this book. I haven't read a cute contemporary in a while, and this was such a relief from dramatic paranormals and dystopians (I loved those as well!). But this one was such a nice light and my classified "fluffy" books that I could read over and over again, and not get tired of the plot and characters.
Overall, I found Past Perfect absolutely, well, perfect! Fans of Meg Cabot and Sarah Dessen will love this fresh new contemp with more than satisfactory results. Hate it, I dare you. You'll end up owing me some money. Take my word for it. Leila Sales has written an amazing second novel (I have yet to read Mostly Good Girls) and it does not disappoint.




If you like this, try...
  • Saving June by Hannah Harrington ♦ Goodreads
  • There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones ♦ Goodreads
  • Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard ♦ Goodreads
  • Without Tess by Marcella Pixley ♦ Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!