The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa


Release Date: February 1st, 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Series: The Iron Fey, Book 1
Rating: YA 13+
Format: Paperback
Source: Borrowed from Library
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite


Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

I had heard so much about this book, yet when it was RIGHT THERE...I would neglect it and walk away. Stupid mistake. I wish I'd picked this book up earlier because this book is AMAZING. I think, seriously, one of the best books on faerie out there.
This world of fey is dark and scary. It's different from other faerie books, as it has much darker elements to the story, portraying the Elizabethan stories of fey folk, instead of the much tamer versions of today. The mischievous, devilish and wicked creatures hiding in the night are probably not ones you'd want to encounter.


Meghan. Okay, I know I say this a lot, but this time I really do mean it. She's the BEST protagonist out there. I love everything she does, she does what she wants and stands up for what she believes in. She doesn't care about any boundaries and is willing to go to lengths of trouble to help those she loves. Only one flaw: She seriously needs to get her head straight and pick out a guy.
Speaking of guys...one of the best and most frustrating love triangles ever. With this book, I have to say, I'm leaning more to Team Puck. I dunno, it's just that joker, makes you laugh thing that really gets you. Ash is more of the icy, dark and mysterious bad boy and he's more hostile in this book...but you can't help but feel helplessly attracted to him as well...GAH, what did I tell you? frustrating.
I really found all characters described so amazingly, especially Queen Mab. You could really tell how scary and well, to put it tamely, evil she is. Every character who plays a part is amazing! OMG, how could I forget?! Grim! Adorable and so amazing. Totally reminds me of the Cheshire cat in Alice in Wonderland! He's got that whole riddle mysterious edge to him and all. Talk about similarity!


The plot of this book always twists and when you think everything is coming to a close, BAM! Something else happens. Love how the technology (Iron) and everything mixes with each other, and the quest to find Meghan's brother comes shockingly close to...*I'm not saying anyone's name* someone's death.
I have to admit though, since I've already read book 2, The Iron Daughter, it's hard to remember what happens in which book. But let me tell you this, the second book is, in some ways (and I can't believe I'm saying this), better than the first. Trust me, it gets EVEN better than it already is!


The Iron King is a paranormal faerie series which all YA readers MUST read. The beginning draws you in and takes you for a fast paced and fantastic ride. The ending leaves you hanging and hungry for more. Julie Kagawa has revolutionized the world of Fey and love triangles everywhere. Move over Edward and Jacob, Ash and Puck are taking girls by storm Can't wait to dig into book 3, The Iron Queen...I need to find out how it all ends up!
If you like this, try...
Other Covers:

2 comments:

  1. I saw this book recently at Books a Million and mentioned it to my daughter (she's 17). I said I'd heard some good stuff about it and she said yeah but she doesn't like to read books with the F word in it. I don't blame her! I don't get why YA books feel the need to be R rated. If it were a movie and had that in it, it'd get an R rating yet all ages of teens read these. I'm sure it's a great book, but i just don't get the swearing. Especially in the faerie world lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Loved Loved Loved this series! It took me on such an Amazing Adventure, and I agree with you, it definitely leaves you wanting MORE!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!