Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly

Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly


Published: May 24th, 2011
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Series: Angel Trilogy, Book 1
Rating: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite


Willow knows she’s different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people’s dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself does. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces and that he’s one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil.




**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy). The final text/cover may change.**


Books I've read about angels have always portrayed them as good, helping humans, gets the girl, etc. etc.
I've never read a book until now, which completely changes the story.


I love how L.A. Weatherly makes the angels the bad ones in this book, and those who hunt them, Angel Killers (Alex) track them down. And the complication in this story? Maybe, just MAYBE, he might like her. I like how she has the ability to look into the future and see stuff. Totally didn't see the big surprise about her coming.
I take Global Perspectives in school and we were looking at religious extremists. I personally, have nothing against them. Seriously, I think a person should be able to do what they choose to. But I gotta say, the Church of Angels SERIOUSLY reminds me of some extreme religions. And another thing– I looked up Church of Angels 'cause I was curious to see if it was real. Guess what? It is! Go ahead, if you don't believe me. Google it! It's true, and I was like "WOAH!" because this is hugely linked in with the story and stuff. So, wow, okay. That kinda creeped me out first, I gotta admit, it's pretty darn cool once you think about it...in some way or the other.


Weatherly's characters are AMAZING. I absolutely loved Willow (she's so strong and just so enviable!) and of course, Alex! :D <3 him! I also love the switch in narratives, so we can see the different perspectives of the two, their stories and how their feelings and mood changes over the course of the novel. I found Alex's part a bit more exciting I have to say...it was just much more action! But Willow's POV was really intense and emotional– I loved the detail in it. I found that Jonah's perspective was also very information giving, and added a lot to the overall story line and what was happening, and new bits of information. I love it when he finds out the thing about angels. SO INTENSE! That was like, one of the mini-climaxes...before the big one. 
The plot was very well planned, there were no dull spots! I just kept reading and reading, desperately trying to find out what happens in the end, and of course, to find out the love sparking between Alex and Willow. If you're planning on reading this book, here's a warning to you: Don't read this at night, or on a busy-packed day. You're gonna want to go through it at an alarming rate 'till the end...trust me!


The angels in this book...are so terrifying. I had nightmares about them, coming to suck my soul or something *shudders*. It's just so scary how Weatherly describes them and their confrontation with humans. And along with that, Angel Burn. I didn't understand that when I first read the title, but after reading the book, I kinda do now. It's to do with the powers of Angels, and how they can blind a person to insanity and/or becoming "not-really-there". Read the book, and you'll find out more.


Overall, Angel Burn is an exciting new series (actually, this is the US release, but whatever. New for ME!) which I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel! It's action-packed, romance-filled and a new paranormal which takes Angels to a whole new level. L.A. Weatherly never dulls with her fabulous descriptions and loveable characters. Loved, Loved, LOVED it!




If you like this, try...





Other Covers:

5 comments:

  1. Oooooo! this sounds quite intriguing! Sigh, now I'm going to have to add yet another book to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, oh alex. I love him. Muscles, athletic, dark hair, confident, "bluish gray, like a storm at sea" eyes.... how can you not love him?! And his last name is Kylar... Alex Kylar, how gorgeous is that name?! Alex, is a trained AK (Angel Killer, and though he should hate Willow, he can't, he's too attracted to her, to in awe of everything she does and I just love that about him. Alex is definitely one of my top 5 boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting!!! I have this on Kindle but I haven't read it yet.>:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG i love this book!!!
    i bougt from one of bookstore in my country,,,got 30% discount..so lucky ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hesitant to read this one, because I'd just come off a series of very disappointing angel books. I wasn't sure I was ready for another one. Luckily, it wasn't a disappointment for the most part. I spent most of the book being seriously annoyed with Willow. She seemed so weak to me, and I was sure that she was going to be the stupid, simpering MC who got the boy even though she didn't deserve him. In the end, she changed my mind about that with her actions. I liked her after all.

    And Alex...well, he was fantastic. Loved him!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!