Interview with Shelley Workinger

Today, I'm thrilled that Shelley Workinger, the author of the YA book series Solid, has been amazing enough to stop by at Confessions of a Readaholic to answer some questions :) Her first book in the series, Solid is AWESOME (My Review here) and I can't wait to read the upcoming sequel, Settling which is due on July 4th, 2011. Without further ado, here's Shelley Workinger!


Random Questions:







What type of music do you like listening to?

All of it – even if I don’t like the style to start, I can often be won over by the lyrics.


What’s your favorite book of all time?


“The Book Thief” by Marcus Zusak – I can’t even fully express how much I love that book.

What’s a book you’ve read recently?


Right now I’m reading Forget-Her-Nots by Amy Brecount White

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor?


I don’t like ice cream – I know, it’s blasphemous. I don’t like cake, either!

Favorite Movie: Pirates of the Caribbean (1st one) (LOVE this movie too!)
Favorite TV Series: Survivor
Favorite Actor: Ian Somerhalder, and not just because he’s ridiculously good looking ☺


Dream Vacation Spot? Moscow


Serious Questions:







Did you always want to be a writer?

No, I never wanted to be a writer – I wanted to be a judge until I got to college and found out you had to practice law first; I wanted to do the ruling, but not the arguing ☺


Which character do you see yourself in? Where did you get the inspiration for your characters?


I spread my flaws fairly evenly across all of the characters so that nobody I knew would get offended. When you tell a story in the first person, people tend to attach the protagonist’s traits with the writers, but I’m not that much like Clio; I definitely did not have her confidence at that age.

What do you hope readers take from your book?


My initial motivation was to reach the early teen readers who are starting to get so overwhelmed by required reading that they risk losing a love for pleasure reading. I hope this grabs some of those reluctant readers and reminds them that so many books are just fun.

What can readers expect from the upcoming sequel, “Settling”?


“Settling” is a bit messier than “Solid.” As the characters really begin to settle into their lives after the shock of “Solid,” nothing is easy – especially when there’s a killer on campus who’s trying to drive them away.

Anything else you want to add?


Thank you so much for your interest in "Solid" and giving me the opportunity to speak with your blog followers; I know we all have dozens of books on our TBR lists and I am so appreciative for your consideration of mine!



Thank you so much to Shelley Workinger for taking time to answer these questions and I can't WAIT for Settling to come out. It seems as promising as Solid! Here's the Blurb!

At the beginning of the summer, Clio Kaid was one of a hundred teens brought to a secret Army installation. But it was no ordinary camp and they weren’t ordinary kids…  Soon after learning they were the products of a secret genetic experiment, the teens began developing super-abilities ranging from bounding lightness to blocking heaviness; blinding brilliance and the ability to vanish. These same gifts made them targets of a psychopath in officer’s clothing, and they found themselves fighting for their lives. Picking up where “Solid” left off, Clio and her friends realize that they aren’t ready to go home; they’re determined to stay on campus and continue their journey of self- discovery. But someone doesn’t feel the same way and will do anything to drive them away – even kill. Friendships will be tested, abilities will evolve, and more secrets will come out as the teens race to stop the killer before he sets his sights on one of them…

Follow Shelley Workinger:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!