Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer



Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove.
    
Told in journal entries, this is the heart-pounding story of Miranda’s struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all--hope--in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar world.

To be honest, this book terrified me. Terrified me fantastically. Whenever I had to take a break to go to the bathroom or whatever, I would keep looking around feeling suddenly strange how my life is now, that it's so alien compared to what I was reading. I would feel as if the world was gonna end tomorrow, I'd no what to do. The book felt so real, I could just slip in. It felt so weird coming back to the real world.

Yes, and after this book, I had second thoughts on the moon. Yeah, it affected that much.

The book, was fantastic. Not post-apocalyptic like most books I've been reading lately, but at the time of the happening. I've never read a book like that, and it's amazing. The most popular post-apocalyptic book I've read would be The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (click here for review). But this was more profound. I couldn't stop thinking about the book. It almost made me feel scared like something was going to happen. And I was so sure, that if I heard any news about something going on weird about the moon, I would be like 'I knew it.' and be totally prepared for it or something. I wouldn't stop worrying about it for days. Gradually, as I read more books, it kinda faded away, but not completely. It's still there, etching on.

Anyway, the plot was fantastic. I got really close to the characters and when they all got sick I was like, "WHAT?!? They can't die now! They're so close!" and I'm sure I could have cried if any of them died. I mean, when the news of Peter being dead came, I got a huge shock I was like wow. I was brain dead, I think. And so yeah, it was really emotional. 
I really love how Miranda puts in the details of what happens everyday and how she's closer to a real person being in that situation, rather than a perfect model-example, who knows how to do everything when the moon shifts. She's clueless and starving and all that, and we can feel her pain. Jeez, I started to feel hungry as she described the days without food. 

I hope that The Dead and the Gone would be as amazing, even though it's from a different person's perspective. I hope it just catches that emotional brevity of the whole thing, y'know what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!